Scope and Deliverables
Logo, Mascot, Branding Project for Tyee High School and Chinook Middle School
We are embarking on a mascot and logo redesign for Chinook Middle School and Tyee High School.
Tyee High School, formally the Tyee Totems, will be the Tyee Titans. Chinook Middle School, formally the Chinook Thunderbirds, will be the Chinook Dragons.
We are creating these new mascots in compliance with a new state law prohibiting schools from using Native names, symbols, or images as mascots, logos, or team names. The law reflects many years of advocacy by tribes in Washington state.
Our goal is to share new logos with our community by the end of the school year. Below is an outline of the process and deliverables.
All imagery will become the sole property of Highline Public Schools.
- Proposals due March 11, 2022
- Highline review March 15, 2022
- Proposal awarded March 15, 2022
- All final work products are due June 1, 2022
A committee of students, staff and other stakeholders will be steering the design direction and responding to community input and feedback. We anticipate seeing several initial concepts of ideas for the committee to weigh in on and rounds of revisions to finalize the mascot.
Proposals may offer a fixed rate or hourly rate, as long as charges are clearly explained and the estimated cost will not exceed the project budget. Any per-hour rates over the initial proposal must be included.
Please include a short biography/biographies of key designer(s) or artists and their qualifications with your submission. All submissions must include a portfolio of logo or graphic samples. Please mention any experience with branding projects and/or projects in the public sector.
Highline Public Schools encourages the participation of Native American artists in this invitation to submit interest.
Initial logo concepts to be presented for consideration after the awarding of the contract should include logo/mascot designs that:
- Reflect each school’s current identity, past and community,
- Reference or include current school colors,
- Tyee Burgundy: Hex #b30615
- Tyee Gold: Hex #d99500
- Chinook Black: Hex #000000
- Chinook Red: Hex #A60012
- Has a logo mark in addition to a wordmark,
- Tyee logo should complement the existing athletic logo,
- Refrain from using imagery referencing a specific gender or ethnicity,
- Is compliant with WCAG 2.1 accessibility standards,
- Connect to our district’s equity commitments and Tribal Sovereignty curriculum,
- Is clean, crisp and modern.
Final logo files must be delivered in EPS, JPG, PNG, and TIF formats with the following variations:
- Standard color logo for use on white/light backgrounds (transparent background),
- Standard white logo for use on dark backgrounds (if necessary for the design),
- Standard grayscale logo for use on light backgrounds (if necessary for the design),
- Horizontal and vertical variations (if necessary for the design),
- Graphic-only images without the name of the school, if applicable
A branding document that clearly identifies:
- All colors used in the logo design, including HEX color, RGB color, CMYK color, and PMS Pantone Swatch,
- Brief guidelines on proper and improper logo usage
Additional brand identity elements should also be included in the branding document and delivered as digital files where possible:
- Selection of fonts
- Selected fonts need to be commonly available across all platforms and browsers
- Headline, subhead, body copy
- Recommended point size