Congratulations to the Tyee High School Class of 2020. Our seniors have worked hard, and they deserve to be celebrated. We wish we could give them a traditional graduation ceremony, but since that is not possible due to the pandemic, we have worked hard to plan a creative way to celebrate commencement.
Seniors and families will be scheduled to rotate through a drive-through graduation ceremony at Tyee High School on Saturday, June 13. Wearing their cap and gown, each student will receive their diploma cover, get a professional photo taken, and be cheered on by teachers and staff with appropriate social distancing. Students will also receive senior awards, yearbook, graduation programs and Class of 2020 memorabilia.
We know it will not be the same as a traditional commencement because the whole class cannot be there together at the same time. However, everyone will have a chance to be honored in front of their families, see the teachers who have supported them, and be at their school one last time.
This will be closer to the traditional experience than a Zoom or virtual ceremony, which students have been clear they do not want.
Students will be scheduled for a specific time. Please stay tuned for more instructions.
Tyee High School
Location: Tyee Parking Lot
Address: 4424 S 188th St., SeaTac 98188
Date: Saturday, June 13
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
We will be live-streaming the drive-through graduation ceremony on YouTube. We encourage you to share this link with your friends and family who will not be in attendance.
Each graduate should arrive based on their assigned arrival time below. Arrival times are by advisor:
- Bishop: 11:00 - 11:20 a.m.
- Dawood and Dhami: 11:20 - 11:30 p.m.
- Dribnak: 11:30 - 11:45 a.m.
- Greve: 11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Lemon: 12:00 - 12:10 p.m.
- Newman & Pappas Barnhart: 12:10 - 12:30 p.m.
- Pfeilschiefter: 12:30 - 12:45 p.m.
- Reierson: 12:45 - 1:00 p.m.
- Setter: 1:00 - 1:15 p.m.
- Truong: 1:15 - 2:00 p.m.
Where to Enter for Graduation
What to Expect
Seniors and families will be scheduled to rotate through a drive-through graduation ceremony with staggered arrival times. You are welcome to decorate your vehicle. Security will be present to ensure cars move through the route. Here is the process:
- Students and families enter the parking lot, one car per family, while Pomp & Circumstance plays. Everyone is to remain in their cars.
- At Tent #1, runners will collect student names on index cards and give grads packets containing any awards, honor cords and Class of 2020 t-shirts.
- At Tent #2, grads will be directed to exit their vehicle and pick up their diploma cover from a table. A school administrator will be there to congratulate the grad at an appropriate distance.
- Grads will walk to Tent #3, where they will have a professional portrait taken. Grads must stay on the marks as they move between tents.
- Grads will walk to Tent #4, where they will be congratulated by the superintendent and a school board member, then be directed to return to their cars
- Cars will proceed to the exit corridor, where they will be cheered by teachers and staff.
Expectations for Graduates and Families
It is extremely important that everyone follows social distancing guidelines for the safety of students, families and staff. If participants do not follow the guidelines, remaining graduation ceremonies for other schools could be canceled.
- Each graduate will be assigned an arrival time based on their advisory teacher. (See above.)
- Graduates should arrive in a vehicle with only their family members. Following public health guidelines, individuals who are in a high-risk group or who are sick should stay home.
- Students are asked to sit in the front passenger seat of their car. Students are not allowed to drive themselves.
- Please come dressed in your cap and gown.
- Please arrive on time at your scheduled time. Families must attend the graduation ceremony during their allocated hour. There will be no makeup hour for families who do now show up at their designated time.
- Only one vehicle per graduate is allowed. Exceptions may be made. Please review the criteria and complete the Two Vehicles Request Form by Friday, June 5. Completing the request form is not a guarantee you will be allowed more than one vehicle.
- Students must stay in their vehicles until instructed to get out. Grads will pick up their diploma cover in Tent 2 and walk to Tent 3 for their photo. They must stand on the marks on the ground and maintain 6 feet distance from others at all times.
- We ask that students come prepared with a face mask for when they step out of the car.
- Families may not get out of the vehicle at any time. Families who wish to take pictures must do so from their vehicles.
- No cars will be allowed to stop and greet teachers or staff. You are welcome to wave from the car, but you must stay 6 feet away from teachers and staff lining the exit route.
- To make sure all families can hear their student’s name announced, please do not bring noisemakers.