Dreamers/ 1079

The undocumented status of a student does not have to be a barrier to attending and succeeding in college. Below are resources that will support Dreamers and 1079 students in Washington state to attain and fund their higher education.

WASFA (Washington Application for Student Financial Aid) is available for students to be eligible for state funds. Details are available on the Ready Set Grad website. Students who have already graduated or are in college can also apply for aid. Other useful websites include:

What is HB 1079?

House Bill 1079 was signed by Governor Gary Locke on May 7, 2003. HB 1079 allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and university starting July 1, 2003. Under Washington state law, students who are not U.S. citizens or permanents residents may qualify for in-state tuition if they meet certain guidelines.

Who is eligible for HB 1079?

Students may be eligible to pay in-state college tuition rates if they meet all of the following three criteria:

  • Received a diploma from a Washington high school or the equivalent of a diploma in Washington State.
  • Lived in Washington for at least three calendar years (not school years) prior to receiving their diploma or its equivalent.
  • Continuously resided in Washington since receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent. 

Financial Aid Resources for HB 1079 students